[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Fw: Copyright

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 10:19:08 EDT 2005

Is that single or dual layer DVDs?  (I suppose it depends on the cost
of the disks when you get it all together)

What DPI are you scanning at (I found 300 was manditory for everything
to be readable).

Will that include the Books too?  (Book of Adventures 1, 2, 3,
simulations, etc...)

If it had the books it might be worth more since those are more
difficult to come by.  Personally, I have enough of the magazines that
I could finish the collection pretty cheap.  But I only have one of
the books.

$50 is kinda the most I'd be willing to spend... possibly $60 with the
books.  I think you'll find the audience limited to the diehard coco
fans at that price.

Like I mentioned to someone else, djvu files are just over 1/10th the
size of pdf files.  The only reason the format didn't catch on earlier
is the patent holder wanted absurd license fees.  That has changed and
the format is now being adopted by many libraries and online archives.
 Plus there are many open source viewers and utilities.
See info here:
http://www.djvuzone.org/

Frankly, a search over 8 disks isn't very practical for me and I
really don't want that much old stuff taking up space on my hard
drive.  I wouldn't mind a more limited database search based on
keywords on my hard drive.  Possibly classify articles by which have
programs or not, which programs are games, business, ads, Basic,
assembly, hardware or whatever.  I often remember an article and want
to find some source code (I have 20 CoCo magazines strewn around my
desk from my search yesterday) and I just need to be able to search on
that criteria and a keyword or two.

Whatever you do will be better than what I have now.

--- In ColorComputer at yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wayne Harwood"
<michael at m...> wrote:
> It's going to be more like 6 or 8 DVD's, and the cost is estimated to be
> between $50 and $70 depending on production costs.  The PDF's are
running an
> average of a little over a megabyte a page (200pg issue = 200mb
file) and
> each DVD has an estimated capacity of 4500+ pages or so per DVD.  I
do not
> know exactly how many pages there are in total, but the first 4
years had a
> lot of 300+ issues.  If we made a conservative guestimate of an
average of
> 150 pages per issue this means we would need at least 5 DVDs.  Until
I have
> everything scanned in I will not know for sure.  My estimates may be
way off
> - if so I hope they are off in a way that's favorable to the project.
>
> I am not planning on inflating the cost to line my pockets - this is
a labor
> of love for me more than anything.
>
> Regards,
> Michael Harwood