[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Fw: Copyright

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Fri Jul 8 17:00:05 EDT 2005

John R. Hogerhuis wrote:

> On the "index" issue, he's wrong or on shaky ground, period.
> Compilations of bare facts with no originality are not protected by
> copyright. But in reality it doesn't matter since this is no reason to
> scuttle the deal. We (Michael, actually) have to play nice.

Not disagreeing with you. Play nice!

> Easier said than done. I'd like to have a complete collection, indexed
> and searchable. Also an electronic version (OCRed properly) can be
> grepped. I don't have easy access to even the printed copies that I
> have... a DVD copied to my hard drive would be accessible all the time.

I'd love to have access to that too, but that sort of thing can get us
into "trouble"

> Life of the author + 70 years? You must have an interesting definition
> of "we" since the majority of us won't be walking the planet in 70
> years. Not even sure who would have to die first... Lonnie or Falsoft
> own the copyrights, but perhaps its the original authors that all have
> to expire before the 70 years counter starts?

Yikes, I thought for magazines it was a lot shorter than that. I hope to
live a long life but I don't think it will be that long.

> Lonnie isn't going to "change his tune"... but it doesn't matter since
> he has already licensed the stuff to Michael for a reasonable $.25 an
> issue payment to him. Why would we want him to change his tune? It's a
> good deal.

That is a good deal. I'd buy such a thing if it were available, I just
don't think the information contained therein is worth going overboard for.

I like looking at the old ads myself. And I always found the Tont
DiStefano hardware stuff interesting. I learned a lot from that guy.

-Mike

Yahoo! Groups Links