[Coco] color computer magazine ?

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Fri Jul 8 12:24:09 EDT 2005

I am still emailing them back and forth trying to find out who owns the
copyright at this point, but unless they transferred or sold it they would
still retain the copyright.

Here's some good info from
http://www.3m.com/meetingnetwork/presentations/pmag_copyright_criminal.html:

Copyright owners have five exclusive rights:

   1. The right to reproduce the copyrighted work.
   2. The right to distribute copies of a copyrighted work to the public.
   3. The right to prepare derivative works, or creations based on the
original.
   4. The right to perform the copyrighted work publicly.
   5. The right to display copyrighted work publicly.

Abuse any of those rights -- that is, photocopy, distribute, customize,
publicly perform or display someone else's original work without permission
-- and you're breaking the law. It's small comfort to know that copyright
law is primarily civil law, not criminal law, so if you're caught
red-handed, you'll likely get sued, not charged with a crime. Copyright
violation might not put you in jail, but it can cost you plenty.

Copyright protection now lasts for the lifetime of the author or creator,
plus 70 years. Thus if Stephen King writes another book, or 10, this year,
and then passes away due to a freak accident on Halloween night, copyright
on his books would remain in effect until 2069. After those 70 years, it
passes into what's called the "public domain," free to be used by anyone
without permission.

Regards,
Michael Harwood