[Coco] Full height 5.25" drives

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Thu Jul 7 02:35:55 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/7/05 12:13:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Rswoger at aol.com
writes:

<<
 By the way, a Florida outfit used to sell CoCo owners two full height TEAC
 drives mounted by DEC horizontally side by side in a CoCo 2 colored sturdy
 metal  case with power supply and a "D" connector. They were absolutely
quiet
 because  of a special non rubber belt drive and a 30 ms step rate that
matched the
 rate  of the original CoCo drive interfaces. I DEMOed them at a Glenside
 meeting. I  have at least a half a dozen of them. Not ready to part with
them.
 They are a  treat to use.

 The noise some folks refer to was brought about by drives with faster step
 rates were never accommodated by CoCo Drive controllers -- the faster step
rate
  drives, some able to step at a 6 ms rate, would chatter at CoCo's 30 ms
 step rate signal. (Sometimes older is better.) >>

       I have a Digital dual drive unit like that.    They only do 30ms as
well.
When I first tried HDB-DOS purchased from Cloud-9 I had
problems  with the installation that looked like a software bug.
I eventually discovered the problem was the default 6 ms step rate
the software was trying to use.   Too fast for the Digital drives.

Roy