[Coco] Regarding Copyright and the Rainbow Magazine

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Tue Jul 5 18:40:42 EDT 2005

> I believe I can (hopefully at no cost) set up an online, searchable,
> indexable database. Admin accounts could be given to allow data to be
> added as it becomes available. Give me a few days to set up a demo.

I emailed Lonnie concerning your database idea and this is his reply:

  ANYTHING and EVERYTHING published by Falsoft carries a copyright. No one
  can generate anything in any way from any of that material without
  violating the copyright. The gentleman to whom you refer would be
  violating our ownership of the copyright by re-publishing it in any way
  -- whether he OCRs it, types it in by hand or whatever.

  I think people need to understand we paid to have this material come into
  being: whether we paid staff to do it, paid third party people for it
  (such as the indexes) or whatever. When they bought a copy of the
  publication, they bought a license to use it; but not to distribute it to
  someone else. They simply do not have the right to take something we paid
  for and give it away or re-sell it to the known world. Please advise this
  guy that he simply cannot do it and, honestly, the more widely he
  circulates anything illegally, the more a court would award us for that
  copyright violation.

Regards,
Michael Harwood