[Coco] [Rainbow on Disc] Update for July

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 4 17:07:12 EDT 2005

> I have been investigating what I can accomplish using only the PDF format,
> and I have been fairly happy with the results.  My intentions are to
> generate an index in PDF form for each disc that will have links jumping
> to the correct page of the targeted issue on that disc...  I am still
> kicking around PDF formatting options - here are some of my brainstorming
> efforts:
>
> 1. A disc index with links and a separate master index without links
> 2. A single index per disc with separate sections - one listing everything
> on the disc with links and another with the master index.

I believe I can (hopefully at no cost) set up an online, searchable, indexable
database. Admin accounts could be given to allow data to be added as it becomes
available. Give me a few days to set up a demo.

> I am also investigating DVD-R pre-printing options and dvd cases taht hold
> up to 10 dvds.  I think it would be snazzy to be able to have the whole
> collection as a single case rather than spread throughout four or five
> cases.  I have seen three big technologies to consider for the printing,
> and would love some input regarding people's opinions.  If anyone has
> direct experience with any of these it would be helpful.  The technologies
> are:
>
> 1. silk-screen
> 2. standard thermal printing
> 3. Everest thermal retransfer

Not with those, but I have a CD/DVD inkjet printer at work. You buy blanks that
have a plain white coating. I think it's just a few cents more than regular
ones. The results are full color and very professional looking. I could do that
printing for the cost of materials. I realize there is a lot of printing for
one printer, so I'd have to do small to medium batches. If nothing else, this
might be a good starting point until you find a more efficient and cost
effective solution. I'll research the costs involved.

cheers,
Bob Emery