[Color Computer] Still more CoCo USB Was:[Coco] Re: Coco Digest, Vol 22, ...

RJRTTY at aol.com RJRTTY at aol.com
Sun Jul 31 22:33:19 EDT 2005

In a message dated 7/31/05 9:17:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com writes:

<<
 Why not CoCo DOS?  Any program that outputs data through the standard
 ROM calls could work.  Even programs that can't be patched for modern
 printer drivers.  A virtual printer could translate between Epson or
 Tandy and a USB printer like an HP Inkjet.  It would result in big
 dots made of lots of little dots or require image enhancment but it
 could work.   >>

    A USB floppy ,mouse or even harddrive would work but
not driving something like a modern inkjet printer.    If I remember
right somebody years ago back on the old princeton list wrote a driver
for the coco3 to use such a printer to do high resolution screen
dumps with a serial to parallel
converter..     I know it took an obsurd amount of time tho I
cant remember exactly how much.     I know a 100Mhz 486
takes about 10 to 15 seconds to do each pass of the printer
head so a coco3 would probably be well over an hour per page.

Roy