[Coco] [Color Computer] GCC Update

James Diffendaffer jdiffendaffer at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 03:23:03 EDT 2005

It's been a few days so I thought I'd let people know what was up with
my work on GCC.

I've been too busy with other things to work on GCC for any real
length of time so I'm not making code changes at the moment.  I don't
want to get in the middle of a bunch of changes and have to abandon
work for a few days and then spend a lot of time trying to figure out
where I was at.

In addition to GCC I need to scan some magazines and send those off to
join the DVD collection.  So many projects, so little time.

For those looking at the GCC source or that want to... most of the
changes from the 68hc11 are in the ".md" file.  It contains most of
the code generation logic and peephole optimizer logic.

The changes required to the .md file are due to differences in
instruction names/set.
The code makes use of slightly different stack instructions, there
load and compare instruction differences... stuff like that.
Nothing looks complicated.

Once I have time to sit down and make all those changes at one time I
will and I should be pretty close to done.  I'll need to look through
all the instruction generation code again to be sure and then make the
proper config files to compile the code with 6809 names instead of
hc11.  After that I'm generating code to see if all is well.

Once the code generated looks ok I'll start working on making the code
more OS-9 friendly as I have time.

I'd like to revisit SDCC at some point to get it working as well.  GCC
relies heavily on ram based registers on small CPUs and SDCC doesn't.
    I don't think it will be a huge slowdown because a CPU with so few
registers needs to go to RAM a lot anyway and by storing them on page
0 or the dp page it may actually speed some code up.

Besides, the advantage of having all the compilers that go with GCC
(C/C++/ObjectiveC/Fortran/Ada...) would make a minor performance hit
worth it.  Since the number of ram based registers is supposedly
configurable, a lot of performance testing will probably be required
to generate optimal code.

Yahoo! Groups Links