[Coco] [Color Computer] Requesting .pdf help...

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Mon Jul 18 07:11:59 EDT 2005

I know that this is a bit offtopic in general, but it ties to the Rainbow
project so I figure it's not too far off base.

I am writing this to ask for help in generating .pdf documents from hires
images that have a resolution of 2550x3300 at 8bit color (8 1/2 x 11 at
300ppi).  As I have been working on this project I have come up with a
variety of ways to decrease the size of the finished documents without
seriously affecting quality.  My goal is a .pdf document whose size
averages out to 160kb or less per page so that I can meet my goal of
having the entire Rainbow collection on a single disc.

I have been pretty ununimpressed with the quality of .pdf documents I have
managed to create using a source image as descibed above.  My best results
have come from resizing the image to 1/3 the size (100ppi), but this
leaves little room to pass the image through an OCR image prior to the PDF
generation.  My goals are:

1) Size must average out to 160kb or less per page
2) Visual quality must be at least as good as
http://www.musicheadproductions.org/test2.pdf
3) It would be nice if a "once pass OCR" could be used to make the .pdf
searchable.

Can anyone help me?

Regards,
Michael Harwood