[Coco] OT: scanners

Kevin Diggs kevdig at hypersurf.com
Sat Jul 16 17:37:44 EDT 2005

Hi,

	This is off topic but kinda inspired by the Rainbow archive project. I
recently picked up a Lacie Silverscanner II off eBay. This thing has
separate red, green, and blue lamps. Is this common?

	I've been playing with scanning the June 91 issue. Scans at 100 dpi (or
ppi or lpi ... I don'k know) and line art mode (monochrome?) are
readable. OCR would require some REALLY good software. PNG files of
these black and white text pages are about 55k. For some of the pages
that are not black and white I've tried 8-bit color and 8 and 4 bit
grayscale. The 8-bit grayscale mode, in particular, seems to encourage
the scanner to magnify imperfections on the pages. This produces rather
large files. Some with PNGs approaching 1M.

					kevin