[Coco] Completely OT Question?

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Thu Jul 14 02:41:52 EDT 2005

I know this is completely OT, but I'll try and make it a
little CoCo related.

I just tried to help someone who is using dial up and who
either may have had their system owned or a virus.

After I was done trying to help them, I began thinking,
why hasn't anyone come out with a firewall appliance for
systems using modems?  It should be simple enough.
 Basically it would be a single port version of a
Firewall/Router and if you wanted, you could build a modem
into the thing and make  either a USB, Serial, or Ethernet
connection to the system.  By the way, I did a Google and
didn't come up with anything.

You would think Netgear or Linksys would have something
like this.  Hell, AOL could sell it as part of their
package.

Now to make this some what CoCo related, in the past I've
asked others how the CoCo with a network interface
(SuperBoard or other) could be used as a network security
device?  Thinking of this and using old modems has given
me some ideas.  Could the CoCo using NitrOS or Kontiki
(maybe) be used as a firewall for a PC using dial up?  I
don't think it could handle 56Kb, but maybe some slower
stuff.  I could use it to prove the idea, then port it
over to a faster processor.  Hmmm.

Sorry if this is OT.  I'm kind of thinking (typing)
out-load here, and I thought I'd bounce it off the list.

-Jim