[Coco] [Color Computer] The .pds versus .djvu debate

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Tue Jul 12 08:24:30 EDT 2005

The debate regarding the relative merits of .pdf versus .djvu has been
very interesting to watch.  In many ways it has made me nostalgic for the
times of yesteryear when my fellow BBSers and I debated which of the
various compression schemes (.lha, .zip, etc) was the best in class, and
which would rise to supremacy and outlast the rest.  There were as many
opinions as there were modems vying against busy signals.

One thing to bear in mind is that the choices made for the packaging of
the end product will strive to serve the community for which the project
is intended.  If most people overwhelmingly desire the .pdf format I am
not going to force .djvu down anyone's throat.

I have been spending a lot of time working with both formats and I think
that while it is technically reasonable to publish in both formats it
isn't the best idea.  It would mean focusing on a single format for
initial release and a lag time before the second format was available.
The issue becomes "how much is enough"?  Scope creep is the slow killer of
any good project...before you know  we could have multiple file formats
each in several quality settings, some with searchable text, etc.

Regards,
Michael Harwood

Yahoo! Groups Links