[Coco] [Color Computer] DjVU Results

Michael Wayne Harwood michael at musicheadproductions.org
Sun Jul 10 10:24:48 EDT 2005

I have spent some more time with the open source DjVU utilites and have
come to the conclusion that DjVU is a very serious contender for
publishing the Rainbow on Disc project.  Initial tests looked bad, but
after some tweaking (lot's of tweaking) I was able to pack all 212 pages
of the Feb. 1983 issue into 33mb - that comes out to an average of about
150kb per page.  With a little more tweaking I might be able to shave off
another one or two megabytes off of the end package.

Using DjVU will enable us getting the entire Rainbow run on a single DVD.
I counted the pages for the magazines I have, estimated the rest, and came
up with a estimated total of 25,000 pages.  Being conservative I did math
based on pages being 160,000 bytes and divided that into the 4,500,000,000
bytes I desire reserved on a single DVD for scanned magazines and came up
with 28,000.   This means there's space for 28,000 pages on a single DVD
using this format - well within the estimates!

I still ahve some tests to perform in regards to page linking and other
"nice to haves", but I am fairly impressesed so far.

There are a few things to think about in considering this format:

 - Dependance upon a viewer that is a web-based plugin
 - Lack of integrated OCR in the open source product

Questions?  Comments?  Flames?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?

Regards,
Michael Harwood

Yahoo! Groups Links