[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] Tandy Drives in general

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Jan 28 13:02:09 EST 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 09:55, Dave wrote:
>Some questions regarding Tandy Drives and please bear with me as I'm
>re-acquainting myself with this equipment....(still kicking myself
>on slling my original CoCo 1 setup in order to purchase a 386)
>
>>From what I've read in the threads, I should be able to do the
>following:
>
>1- Purchase a stock PC case / PS with four 5 1/4 bays.
>
>2- Install four 320K old style style drives.

You can do this, but the drives are 360k for ds 40 trackers :)

>3- Only one Tandy controller is required. (have a spare 501)
>
>4- Cabling seems to be an issue, all help welcome........

Exchange the missing teeth connectors on a tandy cable for connectors
that have all contacts, then set the drive jumpers for the drives
correct address.  This works for the first 3 drives if they are
double sided drives (rsbasic won't see the second side unforch), and
some cobbling on the 4th drive can be done to use the sidee selection
line as the 4th drives address bit.  That won't work very well uner
os9/nitros9 since it does do double sided drives.

Those cable connectors seem to have disappeared from the stocks at the
shack, so you'll probably have to find a parts house that does have
them.  They will be called 40 pin IDC connectors most of the time.

>Would this would be an "ideal" setup for day to day use with a CoCo?

Not too bad, until you get the urge to put a hard drive on it.
They're very handy.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)