[Coco] Re: Color Computer 3 prototype

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Fri Jan 21 12:24:31 EST 2005

Nick

I am convinced that the board has the GIME chip in discrete form.

One proof is that there is nine (9) 74LS151 chips. These are 8 to 1
multiplexer ICs. The only reason one would need 9 of them is to
form the Z-Bus output.

In conjucntion there are three 4 to 16 decoders. These from the
lower four bits of th eaddress buss will along with a chip select from
a PAL will address individual registers in the FF9x block, FFCx
block and FFDx block. FFAx and FFBx are the pallete rams and
there are two 74LS189 chips that are 16x4 sram. Two comprises a
16x8 sram. That handles the MMU ram and another two forms the
pallette register.

I think I am within a week of being able to decipher a detailed block
diagram of the board and what is the GIME. I won't be able to tell
which individual IC goes to what section though. What I will be able
to do is suggest a possible start for someone to do a reverse
engineering of the board.

james