[Coco] Re: Color Computer 3 prototype

John Kowalski sock at axess.com
Fri Jan 21 12:11:59 EST 2005

At 04:32 PM 21/01/2005 +0100, Torsten wrote:
>> But they're nearly all soldered in - I don't know how
>> possible it is to read them without having to desolder them.
>
>This is weird. Why should they have solderd them in? The board looks to
>be in an early state (with so much wire wrapping). Perhaps to avoid
>faults by bad contacts?

Oops, my bad.  I was looking at the 'top-down' photos so long it's hard to
see the sockets.  The 'side-view' photo shows that the PALs *are* socketted,
but most of the regular TTL logic is not.

>Btw, I think the number of chips is not enough even for just emulating
>the 6847.

Each PAL on the board may replace a number of off-the-shelf 74xx series
chips.  The number of chips looks about right to me.  It may be hard to
visualise because it's a photo, but I'm guessing the board is about 3 feet
long, and there are over 150 chips on it!  That's a *LOT*

                                         John Kowalski (Sock Master)
                                         http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/