[Coco][Color Computer] Sniping (Was: eBay items)

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Fri Jan 21 03:27:36 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Torsten Dittel" <Torsten at Dittel.info>

> > Ebay allows sniping software.
> On EBAY.DE I found almost the same on German, BUT in the user
> agreements/policies it reads (I added the English translation):
> However: Ebay Germany went to court against all distributors and
> manufacturers of sniping software. They won some of the first instances
> but finally lost all cases at the higher courts.

As a result of an eBay lawsuit, the creator of the Biet-O-Matic
(Bid-O-Matic) software agreed to stop producing his sniping software. Then
he put it all, including sources, on SourceForge and now it's free for
everyone. Several people in Germany maintain it to this day. That's called a
Pyrrhic victory!

In a similar case in the USA, the publisher of a book called 'Hitman' agreed
to take his book off the market after two people were killed by someone who
read the book. Then he put it in the public domain so you can download it to
this day.

Neil