[Coco] Re: Color Computer 3 prototype

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Thu Jan 20 19:40:33 EST 2005

Al

If this board was at Microware for software developmen then it
should have at least a fully functional GIME chip even if it is in
discrete form. It may be buggy and not exactly the same circuit that
would be in a ASIC, it still at least should be fully functional to
develop software.

I designed several software test platforms about the size of that
board to develop software that went into pagers(beepers). Many of
the boards used two microprocessors. When having to develop
software for two different processors, you just cannot have actual
ICs on board. Also there were some support ICs that were in
develop ment also and I  had to use a combination of existing ICs
and some off the shelf logic to simulate the functionality of the IC in
development.

I am somewhat from my experience that this board most likely had
a functional GIME chip on board. It may be spread out over the real
estate,  but it would have been functional. Also it would be a way to
verify operation against when first silicon of the GIME chip came in.

Believe me IC development in the 80's was a challenge. Seldom if
ever the first pass of IC's ever worked fully 100% to specs. It took
between 12 and 18 months to get acceptable working ICs. We have
come a long ways now. Today an IC can go from concept to
working product within 6 months. The IC can be simulated on a
computer for days or weeks before it is commited to silicon. In
1985, there were no simulations. You hoped your breadboard and
silicon matched close enough to have a shipable product in less
than 2 yrs.

james