[Coco] Color Computer 3 (and ethernet) prototypes...

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Tue Jan 18 12:58:07 EST 2005

Al

If none of the jumpers have been distrubed and any wiring, the on ly concerns
would be the the electrolytic caps.

Best way to reform them is to bring the board power up very slowly and current limit
the power supply.

The ICs should have no problems sitting that long.

Would love to have some time to reverse engineer that board. Like John stated, it
does look as if they used some discrete chips to emmulate the GIME chip function.
Many of the registers can be done with latches and even the MMU can be done
discrete. It is possible that the circuit on board is the GIME in discrete form. It was
typical of that era to do your chip in discrete logic first to verify functionality against
and for design concepts when you received working parts.

I would love to get a set of high resolution tiff format photographs that clearly
display the chip id # or at least a parts list to see what chips are being used. Dang I
wished I could make it this April to Chicago :-(((

That board has so many jumpers on it to correct the original layout will really make
reverse engineering a hair pulling experience.

james