[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] So tell me all about the CoCo III

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jan 15 16:37:50 EST 2005

On Saturday 15 January 2005 16:18, James the Animal Tamer wrote:
>Okay.  Back in the 1980s, I'll admit it.  I wasn't a CoCo user.  The
>CoCo I had back then was a Tano Dragon-64, and just about the only
>thing I did with it was to play a game called QUEST.
>
>I bought a couple of books -- that green technical book on the CoCo,
>and also the assembly language book that Radio Shack sold.  I
> fiddled around a bit with the Dragon, displaying the weird extended
> semigraphics modes that're possible with the CoCo
>
>=
>Late in the 1980s, the CoCo III was introduced.  I wanted to get
> one, but didn't get around to it.
>
>=
>So, tell me something about CoCo III, from a programming standpoint.

Its an os9 users dream, because os9 can be configured to use as much
as 2 megabytes of memory if you have more than 128k from the factory
install.  I have 2 megs in mine.

>Are there new BASIC commands to support the new graphics modes?

Yes, and no.  There are basic commands to support the newer graphcs
stuffs but thats the only thing that basic can do with the extra
memory in the stock machine.

>Where can I get a cable to connect it to my 1084d monitor's RGB-
>analog port?

Certainly, Mark Marlette, <http://www.cloud9tech.com/> will be happy
to make you one.  He has LOTS and LOTS of other new toys for our old
friend too, as you will see on his web page.  Half meg memory kits,
hard drive adaptors of any pursuasion you want, including support for
really big hard drives.  Extra software, like nitros9 to speed the
original os9 up by about 200%, etc etc.

If you are subject to uncontrolled drooling over new toys, keep a mop
handy. :-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)