[Coco][Color Computer] Anyone following the latest MicrosoftandLinux debacles?

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Fri Jan 14 19:40:26 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 16:25, David wrote:
> "Better" is a relative term.. sure, Linux has the sociological advantage of
> better 'backing', and open developement.. but when Granny Smith wants to
> check her email, are you going to put her infront of XP, or a CLI?
>
> "here, gran.. it's just PINE.. "

Agreed on the 'better' being relative point, but if it's Granny, and she
hasn't used a computer before, *and* I had to admin the box, I'd
probably set her up with

Debian GNU/Linux
Gnome Desktop or KDE
OpenOffice
Firefox
Thunderbird (email)
ssh so I can remotely admin the box
cron script to keep up-to-date on patches
Fast PC, dial-up networking, and configure software firewalling

GUI all the way. No need to force the CLI on Granny...

Since Granny has never used a computer, and just wants to see the
website with the grandkids and send email, she might as well do her
learning curve on Linux instead of Windows. It doesn't cost any more.

Unfortunately the situation I'm in is that the relatives already have
Windows, and continually want me to fix their spyware and virus ridden
spam zombie computers that little johnny just can't stop browsing porn
from...

-- John.