[Coco] Portal-9 tester needed for Windows 2000

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Tue Jan 11 18:43:34 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 15:20, Mannequin* wrote:

> Roger, check out http://www.vmware.com/ Basically, it's a x86
> emulator...
>
> -M.

I run Linux on all my machines, but I do paid Windows development, so I
run all my Windows installs in VmWare.

Great piece of software, there really is no difference between running
Windows in VmWare and running it native, other than a bit of a slowdown
(basically feels like a machine 300-500 Mhz slower... which is OK since
I run it on a 2.6 GHZ machine w/ 2Gig of RAM).

It doesn't actually emulate the CPU like your typical Coco emulator. In
many cases it rewrites instructions on the fly to make the OS run within
its sandbox. But most of the code runs native on the CPU whereas an
emulator simulates each instruction by one or more foreign instructions
on a host CPU.

The bad part is that it's in the $250+ price range. Within a year or
two, QEMU (a free software project) emulator should be in striking
distance. Bochs, the other major x86 emulator won't be ready for
production use for some time because of how slow the implementation is.

-- John.