[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] History Bytes

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Jan 10 21:36:06 EST 2005

John

You can patent the process to make a chip including the way a
internal hardware operates within a chip. The design of the chip and
the way the instruction set is implemented are patentable.

This is IP. It is most likely that many if not all the patents on  the
6809 have now expired. The chip is 25 to 27 yrs old. I am not sure
today how long one can extend a patent. It used to be a maximum
of 17 yrs. Over the past yrs the push to preserve IP may have
changed laws.

You maybe right that none of the patents on the 6809 are
enforceable and have expired. In that case a SoC based on a  6809
is doable with no retribution from Motorola.

james