[Coco] Re: [Color Computer] History Bytes

John R. Hogerhuis jhoger at pobox.com
Mon Jan 10 17:28:11 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 14:18, jdaggett at gate.net wrote:
> John
>
> Not so sure that Microsoft would. Their portion of the code is really
> very old code. Most of that was written back in 1978 to 1979 time
> frame.

Well, it's true they might not.

I know Ron Wiesen on the Model 100 list has asked Microsoft Legal for
permission to redistribute the BASIC ROM; they say no, on the grounds
that portions *may still be used in current products*

!!!

So one might guess that's why Windows and/or Office is such a resource
hog... it's apparently written in Model 100 BASIC, on top of an 80C85
emulator...

Even if they do get upset about it, the likely extent is a cease and
desist letter, back and forth with Microsoft to come up with a way the
project can continue without infringing their copyrights. Worst case it
kills the project. Best case they never complain.

-- John.