[Coco] WordPak RS/CO80

Steve Bjork 6809er at etechwds.com
Wed Jan 5 11:34:26 EST 2005

Art,

Way back in the old days of the CoCo 1, (while working at DataSoft) I
created a 80 Column display for coco software development.  It was nothing
more then a cheap "stand-alone" terminal with output of the coco's serial
port was tied to it.  While the terminal's keyboard could not be used for
input, the screen could be quickly updated when running at 19,200 baud.

The main use for the terminal was writing Assembly Language code and EDTASM
was perfect for it.  You see, EDTASM user interface was written for
terminal I/O and it was not hard to patch the code of a pre-release version
to output to the terminal. (I later patched EDTASM with an On Screen line
editor (see my SECS),  extra long labels and Disk I/O with file includes.)

About this time, Mark Segal (sp?) left DataSoft for Tandy and took the
technology with him.  Soon, Tandy and other Developers were using this
simple system for their 80 column displays.  There was also talk about
selling a patch cable and drivers through the store or at lease the direct
order system. All of that was dropped once worked started on the CoCo 3.

Steve 6809er Bjork