[Coco] [Color Computer] WordPak RS/CO80

Boisy Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Mon Jan 3 20:12:04 EST 2005

I've made some progress... apparently the Rockwell 6545 is very similar
to the Motorola 6845, and there is a great deal more information on the
net about this chip.

I found the info at
http://members.tripod.com/~oldboard/assembly/6845.html to be helpful.
It details a set of values to plug into the 6545 in order for it to
display properly.  Using the values from the CO80 column, I've managed
to make the display look coherent.  No more wavy out of sync lines.  I
get a nice 80x25 display with a bunch of junk characters.  However, I
have no idea how to change the contents of the screen (i.e. the
characters).

There is a 6116 (2Kx8) RAM chip onboard which connects to the 6545, as
well as a 2K Character ROM.

It appears that $FF78 and $FF79 are mirrored at $FF76 and $FF77.  So
now all that needs to be done is to solve the mystery of how to write
characters to the internal RAM so that they are displayed on the
screen.