[Coco] More CO80 Stuff

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at boisypitre.com
Wed Jan 5 17:34:18 EST 2005

The mystery of CO80 and Word-Pak RS just keeps getting more
interesting...

Thanks to Roy Justus, I will soon have a better idea how this Word-Pak
RS works.  According to Roy, his Word-Pak II is mapped in at $FF98, and
I suspect that the only difference between the Word-Pak RS and the
Word-Pak II is the addressing.  Word-Pak RS is addressed at
$FF76-$FF79.  I'm speculating at the moment of course, but it seems so.

I found an interesting couple of paragraphs in the Rainbow Magazine,
January 1986, pp 237-238.  This was from Dale Puckett's "KISSable OS-9"
column:

START QUOTING
People at the session noticed some of the changes as soon as they
walked in the room.  The Microware programmers had plugged their Color
Computer into an Electrohome video projector.  An 80-column screen
projected a clear image on the large screen.  As it turned out, the
80-column card was a prototype. "We didn't know if Tandy has committed
to produce this card or not," Hawkins said.  "They only told us that if
they put an 80-column card on the market it will work like this."  At
that point a Tandy employee attending the session said that an
80-column card is available through their express order program.  After
watching the demo, speculators in the crowd insisted that it must be
the PBJ Word-Pak because the output character stream is written to the
card serially, one byte at a time and no "screen" memory is needed in
the Color Computer's memory space.
END QUOTING

At one time, I had a PBJ 80 column prototype card in a shortie pak that
I had gotten from the bowels of a box at Microware, where the prototype
CoCo 3s and other stuff were kept.  Stupid me, I auctioned this
cartridge off on eBay some time back along with a lot of spare CoCo
stuff, and now I wish I hadn't for I believe that this was the
cartridge that was used at the above seminar.  I speculate that Tandy
had PBJ make a special 80 column card that worked with the CO80
co-driver, but never massed produced it.  The WordPak-RS was NOT the
card that CO80 worked with, so it had to come earlier.  Why so many
revs of Word-pak, I don't know, but I suspect that Tandy's work on the
CoCo 3 killed the idea of a new 80 column cartridge.  Thus CO80 was
written for hardware that was never produced and sold.

Just a theory...
--
Boisy G. Pitre
E-Mail: boisy at boisypitre.com