[Coco] Re: Boisy & Mark

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Feb 27 23:43:34 EST 2005

Dave Poitras wrote:
> Mark,
>
> 3rd try to cloud9tech address and the blocking.
>
> Here is the "Details"
>
>    <mark at cloud9tech.com>553 64.136.29.16
> rejected due to spam, contact
>    480-505-8877 (dnsbl.sorbs.net)

http://www.moensted.dk/spam/?addr=64.136.29.16&Submit=Submit

+ SORBSSPAM List of hosts that have been noted as sending spam/UCE/UBE
to the admins of SORBS. : spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net -> 127.0.0.6

The SORBS spamtrap zone is not suitable for use in an ISP blocking list
unless you do not want e-mail from any major ISP.

It is almost impossible for a major ISP to keep their servers off of
that list when a new virus breaks out, and many have given up on jumping
through the hoops of donating to a charity of their choice to get off of it.

The SORBS DUHL zone appears to be the most up to date DHCP zone, and it
even allows removals by individuals if their TTL of their static domain
is long enough to indicate that it is not dynamic.

Specific details on this listing:

> Address:	64.136.29.16
> Record Created:	Fri Jan 28 13:41:11 2005 GMT
> Record Updated:	Wed Feb 23 13:35:29 2005 GMT
> Additional Information:

> [64.136.29.16]) by desperado.sorbs.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id
 >  5931611451 for <[email]>; Wed, 23 Feb 2005 22:39:25 +1000 (EST)

It is also in the list below, which is far more serious, and further
investigation shows that there was and still could be a serious security
breach in progress on the mail server.

http://psbl.surriel.com/listing?ip=64.136.29.16

This has a link to google, which a quick check shows the spam coming out
of it.

The mail server is claiming that the spam is coming in from a webmailer.

This indicates that there is either a security problem with the web
mailer, or that the spammers have phished the password of a user of that
mail server.

There has been an outbreak of Advance Fee Scams and Nigerian 419 scams
from insecure web mailers for the past several months, and much of the
discussion about it seems to be about a buggy PHP script enabling
spammers to have full control of the web mailer.

As the first spam was seen from this on Jan 19th, and google shows that
the problem was allowed to continue to at least Feb 26, it indicates
that the ISP took quite some time to figure out what the security
problem is, and since it has not been 48 hours yet from the easily
available public sighting, it remains to be seen if it really is fixed.

Looking a little further at the spam that google found with the title: