[Coco] Re: Spam and e-mails

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Sun Feb 27 22:54:31 EST 2005

Dave wrote:
> In part this is to Bryan Goers;
>
> I received both of these this weekend. Both had zipped files attached
> the could have been cut and pasted into the message so that they did not
> hide virii.

<snip>

> Your account was used to send a large amount of spam during this week.
> Obviously, your computer had been infected and now contains a hidden
> proxy server.

This is a known virus that came out several months ago.

It is not a bounce.

Some of viruses now put a web server on the infected computer, and try
to get you to visit it by opening a document or running an attachment.

There is an exploit where opening a zip file will trigger an HTML
document to be parsed on some platforms.

The headers of the message will reveal the I.P. address of the computer
that is infected.

-John
wb8tyw(at)qsl.net
Personal Opinion Only