[Coco] 80 trk drives

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Sat Feb 26 11:36:55 EST 2005

Rumor has it that XYZ may have mentioned these words:
>I have extended ADOS-3 and it can be setup for 80 trk drives my question
>is a 80 trk drive a 3 1/2 drive or a 5 1/4 drive

Yes.

;-)

Most 3.5" drives are 80 track (Technically - 80 *cylinder*; being
double-sided they'd be 160 track total! ;-) and can use 720K floppies
easily enough. OS-9 works well for those, too.

For 5.25" drives, you'd need to check on the model numbers -- there's the
possibility of 35, 40 and 80 track drives. Be careful - some 80 track
drives may not work, since the 1.2Meg drives (unless they're jumperable to
720K only operation) require a different data rate; and rotate at a
different speed. 720K drives need a 250Kbit data clock, the HD drives (and
8" drives) need a 500Kbit data clock.

[[ Most 3.5" drives will automatically shift their required data rate and
rotational speed based on the existence of the "HD hole." Just make sure
you're using good 720K floppies (1.4Meg are not interchangeable due to
different magnetic characteristics) and you should be fine. ]]

There are instructions for modifying the old, original (read: requires 12V)
floppy controller to run 8" and HD drives...

... Me, I'd much rather have a Frank Hogg Labs Eliminator. Anyone got one
they wanna get rid of? ;-)

Laterz,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger   | Anarchy doesn't scale well. -- Me
zmerch at 30below.com.         |