[Coco] NitrOS9 Boots

Alex Evans alxevans at concentric.net
Mon Feb 14 15:28:07 EST 2005

On Feb 14, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Boisy Pitre wrote:

> John,
>
> I believe what you want to do is: DMODE /D1 DNS=01 CYL=00A0.  DNS
> should
> not be set to $03, except in the case where you are using an 80 track
> 5.25" drive to read 40 track 5.25" disks.
>
> I'm guilty for perpetuating that fallacy based on an incorrect
> assumption
> that I had, namely that ANY 80 track device should have its IT.DNS bit
> 1
> set.  That is not the case.

I actually own a pair of 40 track 3.5" floppy drives, of course as they
are connected to an IEEE-488 interface I won't be using them with my
CoCo.  Personally I think that the IT.DNS bit doesn't matter at all on
3.5" floppies as long as people which are consistent, which we have not
been.  Both ways make their own kind of sense (for example it is more
than a bit of a pain to have to have different disk images which differ
by a single bit between 80T 5.25" and 80T 3.5" versions).

--
Theodore (Alex) Evans | 2B v ~2B = ?