[Coco] special ramdisk needed...

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 08:10:30 EST 2005

> > Would it be possible to have a RamDisk that would supercede floppy
> > drive 0, as opposed to any higher drive number?
>
> Indeed, this is a similar issue faced by RGB-DOS (HDB-DOS, from
> Cloud-9).  Some software wouldn't let you enter a drive number beyond
> 0-3, so RGB-DOS allowed you to swap out the floppies so HD virtual
> floppys became 0, 1, 2 and 3.  A RAM disk could do the same thing, but
> so much software talked to the WD1773 controller directly, bypassing
> Disk Extended Basic ROM calls, that those programs can't be made to
> work without rewriting them.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to. There are tons of programs (and
usually it's the high-end software that presents the most problems) for RSDOS
that simply will not work from anything but drive 0. Grrr. Many of those will
only work from floppy 0... even being on hard drive 0-3 is not enough.

So it looks like the only options are either to patch each software title
individually or use a hardware RamDisk that the CoCo thinks is a real floppy
(like the one Eric Rothfus (sp?) built). Anyone know how long it takes to
backup a hard drive's virtual floppy to a RamDisk?

Just looking for ways to make things easier.
Cheers,
Bob Emery