[Coco] QPascal - WAS:Expert C programmer wanted

Frederick D Provoncha elderpav at juno.com
Sat Feb 12 20:43:03 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 23:16:46 -0800 "Stephen H. Fischer"
<SFischer1 at MindSpring.com> writes:
>     QPascal, I have version .8b
>

> Tony Schountz tonys at utkux.utk.edu 1998
>
> Quick Pascal is a menu driven application programming interface
> (API) which,
> when paired with Microware's OS-9 Pascal, forms a fluid integrated
> development environment (IDE). OS-9 Pascal was first released under
> OS-9
> Level I and does not work with Level II as packaged. Radio Shack
> never
> released an updated version, however, in this archive is a patched
> version
> of 'pascal' native compiler which will run properly under Level II
> and
> exploit the use of a RAM disk.
>
> Quick Pascal is not so much a program as it is an environment; I like
> think of it as a toolbox for OS-9 Pascal. Contained within this
> toolbox are
> several programs, utilities and files needed to help OS-9 Pascal
> function
> properly and efficiently under Level II. Because some of these
> programs are
> Basic09 I-code, 'RunB' must also be in memory, along with the
> 'gfx2'
> graphics support module. In the archive table of Quick Pascal, you
> should
> see the following (See Appendix III for actual listing):
>
> --
> Stephen H. Fischer

Actually, I downloaded Quick Pascal and installed it on my Coco's hard
drive a while back and I have used it. It's a nice package, it enables
the use of OS-9 Level II graphics primitives with Pascal which is nice,
but what is still seriously lacking from the package is support for
Multivue-style windowing capability as well as mouse support. That could
be added if I could figure a way to do system calls through Pascal, which
brings me back to my original dilemma. It can be done by writing an
assembly module (a Pascal version of Basic09's Syscall, essentially), but
as I've already said, I still need to improve my knowledge and skills at
assembly before I could do that.

Fred Provoncha
Stansbury Park, UT