[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 16:19:01 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/11/05 4:02:20 PM Eastern Standard Time,
KnudsenMJ at aol.com writes:

>>The  Shell command would allow me to pass parameters to  the called module,
>>but  not back to the parent program. Values  can only be passed in one
>>direction  using that method. I need  to pass in both  directions.

>Is Pascal like Basic09, in that  functions can't return values?  If  not,
then
>you should be  able to return a single value (a success/error code for
>example).

(I added the quote symbols myself, by hand.  Let's see if that  works.)

I think I answered the wrong question -- the query was how to make a
shell(command string) function return a value.  Well, it should return the  shell's
value -- in UNIX a 0 for success, else some integer error code.  I  think OS9's
conventions are different, maybe not.

Anyway, I agree, I see no way to get multiple values back.  Go the
assembler-fuctnion route.
It's not hard to write your own shell() function to execute a given command
string and return the success/fail value.
Hope I answered the right question this time --Mike  K,