[Coco] Disk drive

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 23:52:39 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/8/05 10:56:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
diegoba at adinet.com.uy writes:

I GOT  IT!!!   After +20 years wanting it, I have my first working floppy
drive for my CoCo
Felicitaciones!  I still remember the day I got the first floppy drive  for
my Coco -- cost me over $300, more than I'd paid for the computer!  But  the
difference between cassette tape and floppy is just unbelievable.  I  hope
someday you'll get a hard drive -- that step up is like going from tape to  floppy,
too.

Today I  got a Commodore PC, and being a XT, came with an old 5 1/4
floppy drive  that works perfect with my coco!
I paid $5 for the computer, and $15 for  shipping, a lot cheaper than
trying to get an original CoCo  drive.
All but my first disk drive (I went thru about 5 of them) were scrounged
from early PCs.  I still remember my first double-sided one.  BTW, if  your "new"
drive has a head-load solenoid (makes a "click" whenever it first  starts
turning), you can shut off power with a floppy still in the drive  and not worry
about damaging the data.

Now,  to find another XT and get a 2 disk system :-)

Do that.  Two drives are SO much better than one.  --Mike  K.