[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at optushome.com.au
Tue Feb 8 16:44:16 EST 2005

KnudsenMJ at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/8/05 2:35:37 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> neilsmorr at hotpop.com writes:
>
> I'd take  that with a grain of salt. I've never found C to be very
> portable and  sometimes it's horrendously unportable. FWIW, I always look
> at  Pascal compilers first - personal taste.

Ahhh, so *you're* the one that still programs in Pascal... ;)

I think also that people (and I'm not suggesting that the poster is
neccessarily in this category) confuse portability of the language with
portability of the platform API. Attempting to port a win32 (GUI) program to
a completely different platform say, XWindows, would be plain crazy -
through no fault of the language itself.

I recently did some maintenance on a Turbo Pascal program that talked
directly to memory-mapped hardware. Attempting to port that to another
platform would be no easier than if it were written in C.

> I luckily escaped the Pascal fad while in school.  Tried to get into  it
> on the Coco, gave it up quickly.  When I feel the need to program in a
> really ugly language (that can nevertheless be forced to do most
> anything), I've  got Basic09, thanks :-) --Mike K.

Heh, no such luck here - I had to endure a few years of writing assignments
in Pascal. I think it says something that I never wrote *anything* outside
uni in Pascal - it was straight to C for me. It must be said though, that at
the time I graduated (1988), there were still quite a few Pascal jobs going.

You want ugly - try PIC assembler!

Regards,