[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

Neil Morrison neilsmorr at hotpop.com
Tue Feb 8 02:22:34 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Watts" <rayanddoraleew at earthlink.net>

> Sheesh!  When I retired as an electronics engineer in underwater
> acoustics for the federal government fourteen years ago, the salary to
> billing rate for our services was about 33% and everyone used to
> complain that private enterprise could operate more efficiently.  That
> doesn't appear to be the case with the numbers you show.  Granted, "body
> shops" had less overhead, but much of their administrative work was done
> by the contracting agency.

I've seen people try to bill just 100% of their net pay. Never seen a
no-overhead operation work. And I've had several customers say they'd rather
pay for stuff that works than for cheap stuff that doesn't. That's a lesson
the FBI should have learned.

"The Federal Bureau of Investigation is on the verge of scrapping a $170
million computer overhaul that is considered critical to the campaign
against terrorism but has been riddled with technical and planning problems,
F.B.I. officials said on Thursday.

In a last-ditch effort to save the program, the bureau has hired a research
firm at a cost of $2 million to evaluate the mounting problems in creating a
"paperless" work system and to determine whether any parts of the project
can be salvaged, officials said. One idea under strong consideration is for
the bureau to use off-the-shelf software instead of the expensive customized
features it has unsuccessfully sought to develop."

Regards,

Neil