[Coco] Expert C programmer wanted

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Sun Feb 6 16:15:52 EST 2005

On Feb 6, 2005, at 2:43 PM, John R. Hogerhuis wrote:
> Does anyone contract embedded projects to India? I would bet most of it
> happens here.

Yes.  Quite common, it seems.  After I was laid off in 2001, I went to
work for a Silicon Valley company where I was one of 3 non-Indian
engineers.  There was to be a much larger devteam in India working on
it, but the presence in San Jose/USA was important from a marketing
standpoint.

Also, at my current job, I just heard from a group in India maintaining
an OS-9 product that originated in the US but the company was bought
out (I assume) and now moving forward everything is being done in
India.  So, it was amusing to me -- an Indian engineer in India calls
tech support and gets to speak with a guy with an American accent in
the USA ;-)  Talk about reversal.

And my view was talking about all the small devteams that did the stuff
for Cybiko (Russia? Names sounded Russian) and the like, just cranking
out their toolset and games and such.

Yep, as much as I hate outsourcing, frankly, I'd much rather have spent
2003 getting paid $6.50 and hour to sit in a cubicle and program than
making the $6.50/hour I was standing in the back of a home improvement
store trying to sell cell phones.  I know alot of "it would cost
$50,000 to make me do this" US engineers who have been out of work for
over a year -- or, like me, ended up taking crappy jobs just trying to
keep some bills paid.  I think we did it to ourselves ;-) to be honest.

		-- Allen