[Coco] double disk drive

Robert Emery theother_bob at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 09:54:03 EST 2005

--- Mark Marlette <mark at cloud9tech.com> wrote:

> You can change the drive select and side selects all through software. I
> did this many years ago. Modify the tables in DECB's ROM to do what you
> want them to do. I messed with side select but I'm pretty sure you can
> do the drive select as well. There was about 3-4 tables that the bits
> had to be massaged.

Yes, the software method will let you "re-map" the drives however you want
them, but a large portion of software out there bypasses the drive tables after
they take over the disk I/O process. Most if not all of this software seems to
make the assumption that nobody would ever want to use anything other than
drive 0. :(  It's really easy for software to tell which drive the program was
launched from (Color FOG does, even from HD) and continue accessing the same
drive, but for some reason, most CoCo disk based software does not do this
simple check.

cheers,
Bob Emery