[Coco] CoCo hardware cycle

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 4 17:54:31 EST 2005

Your steps seem just slightly off when compared to Fig 2 on the SAM data
sheet which is the Timing Waveforms for MPU Rate =SLOW. I have no
equipment for scanning this page and could not do it justice as an ascii
diagram. I'll try to make some useful verbal description but don't
promise much. I make no attempt to indicate accurate delays or specific
timing.

1) The SAM has an oscillator input running at 14.31818 MHz from a
crystal which feeds back via osc out to the crystal producing the master
system clock.
2) The timing diagram has $10 (16) steps or full square wave cycles of
the master clock. These are labled tau 0-$F. All other system square
waves trigger at the middle of an oscillator out transition.
3) During the second half of tF the E clock goes low, VDG addresses are
invalid, the MPU addresses become invalid, and ^WE goes high.
4) Just before the end of tF, A0-A15 and R/^W go invalid and VDG ROW
goes valid. As we enter t$00, the states are E low, Q low, S0,S1,S2
valid, DA0 valid, VDG address ROW valid, ^RAS0 high, ^RAS1 high ^CAS
low, and ^WE high.
5) About the middle of t0, S0,S1, and S2 go invalid. ^CAS goes high.
6) About 1/4 of the way through t1 VClk goes high. The rate of VClk is
4x the master oscillator.
7) At the middle of t1, ^RAS0 and ^RAS1 go low.
8) At the start of t2, VDG address ROW goes invalid.
9) About 3/4 through t2, VDG address COL goes valid.
10) At the start of t3, Q goes high, ^CAS goes low.
11) At the start of t6, ^RAS0 and ^RAS1 go high.
12) About 1/4 through t6, A0-A15 and R/^W become valid.
13) At the middle of t6 S0, S1, and S2 become valid.
14) At the start of t7, VDG address COL goes invalid, E goes high, and
     ^WE goes low.
15) At the middle of t7, MPU address ROW goes valid.
16) At the start of t8, ^CAS goes high.
17) At the start of t9, ^RAS0 and ^RAS1 go low.
18) At the start of tA, DA0 goes invalid and MPU address goes invalid.
19) At the middle of tA, MPU address COL goes valid.
20) At the start of tB, Q and ^CAS goe low.
21) Just after the start of tC, DA0 goes valid.
22) At the start of tE, ^RAS0 and ^RAS1 go high.
23) At the start of tF, E goes low, MPU address COL goes invalid, and
     ^WE goes high.
The cycles then repeat.
The VDG and MPU address lines are Z0-Z7. ^RAS1 is used in 4K and 16K modes.