[Coco] OT: Unix/Linux Makefile question

KnudsenMJ at aol.com KnudsenMJ at aol.com
Tue Feb 1 23:31:29 EST 2005

In a message dated 2/1/05 6:00:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,  jhoger at pobox.com
writes:

Maybe this:

info make
-> Writing rules -> Directory  search

OK, thanks, that will help me search thru a big Info file.  Books  aren't
much help.

It occurred to me to try porting the Tim Kientzle OS9 Make to Linux --  would
work, *if* the source includes the Unix calls for getting a file's  timestamp.

As far as generating products, that has more to do with the  compiler
than make, right?
Where the compiler generates .o files is  controlled by compiler options.

Partly correct -- probably do have to put something in CFLAGS to steer the
output.  And some more flags to make the Linker pick up the .o files from  the
right place.
But, Make has to know where to look for the .o files, to see which are out
of date.

In Tim K.'s Make (which I helped work on, and fixed the Y2K bug in), it was
sooooo simple!
Of course, "simple" is never used around Linux/Unix work :-)
--Mike K.