[Coco] [Color Computer] Creating a DSK file on a real coco..

George Ramsower Yahoo at DVDPlayersOnly.com
Fri Dec 23 21:25:26 EST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Devries" Sent: Friday, December 23, 2005 4:56 AM

> Here's a modified version to read the disk in RAW mode, and write a .dsk
> file:
>
> PROCEDURE dskcreat
> DIM inpath,outpath:BYTE
> DIM block(256):BYTE
> DIM vfile:STRING[30]
> DIM drive:STRING[30]
> INPUT "emulator file:",vfile
> INPUT "disk to read from (must have format /DX@):",drive
> OPEN #outpath,vfile:WRITE
> OPEN #inpath,drive:READ
> WHILE NOT(EOF(#inpath)) DO
> GET #inpath,block
> PUT #outpath,block
> ENDWHILE
> CLOSE #inpath,#outpath
> END
>
> --

  When I first ran this, I received an error 216. DOH! I should have seen
that one coming..

 I don't know if it makes any difference how the file is created, but I used
"display >filename" and then "dump filename". It appeared to be an empty
file.
 Then I ran the B09 program again and it appeared to work. I got the file,
transferred it to this XP box, ran MESS and attempted to boot from it and I
got the familiar "OK" prompt.

  Next I booted with another image, mounted this file as /d1 and tried to
look at it....
 Error 249

 So I checked the Dmode on the /d1 driver and it was good.
 Then I did "attr /d1" and got no report.
 Then I did "attr /d1 d-ewrewr" and looked at it again and there still was
no report.

 Then I tried to format this file and after it did the write, it came back
and errored every sector.

 Any suggestions?

 BTW... At 2400 baud, using xmodem it took 57:35 to download to this XP box.
I'm going to play with higher baud rates and different protocols to see what
would be the fastest way to do this sort of thing. I don't transfer much
between the coco and this XP box, I just use hyperterm to operate the coco
because the coco is in a room that does not lend itself to a sit down
session. Keyboard familiarity and comfort is good. OS9 is perfect for this
scenario.....

 George