[Coco] S-video Prospects...

John Kowalski sock at axess.com
Sat Dec 17 16:13:38 EST 2005

At 02:15 PM 17/12/2005 -0500, Roger "Merch" Merchberger wrote:
>That said, my service manual has the complete parts lists (right down to
>the capacitors & resistors) and a PCB layout of both sides of the PAL
>daughterboard. If all of the 3 chips are commercially available, other than
>the actual building of the board, one _might_ be able to come up with a
>source of PAL boards without having to destroy PAL CoCo3's in the
>process... ;-)
>
>How much trouble would a person be in if he or she were able to...
>"replicate" the PAL board? [[ Admittedly, it's not like said person would
>be costing Tandy any lost profits... ]]

I haven't opened up the project box to have a look at that board lately, but
I have a feeling the chips aren't available any more and that the board has
too many other components to make it worthwire to build as-is.

Stephen Fischer suggested a few chips a while back.  This one in particular
is probably ideal:

http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,AD724,00.html

It pretty much does everything to generate composite & svideo all by itself
and beyond adding a crystal to it, probably requires next to no additional
parts to build an RGB to S-video adapter out of it.

If we want simple and inexpensive, this is probably it.

                                         John Kowalski (Sock Master)
                                         http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/