[Coco] Re: Thoughts about going back to school full time.

Jim Cox jimcox at miba51.com
Fri Dec 16 20:30:25 EST 2005

There was an interesting post on Slashdot on this very
subject:

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/05/12/16/1833210.shtml?tid=156&tid=187&tid=4

It made me wonder why am I taking programming classes at
47.
Should I do it for my employer because they are hanging a
carrot on stick in front of me, or should I do it because
I can learn something new that I can apply to a hobby
(CoCo's and other projects) that I can have fun with and
maybe parley into a better job.

I'm choosing the latter.  I'm looking back on my 23 years
in the business and I am just realizing that all I have
been doing is working with technology, and not having fun
with it.  I look at what I haven't done with the CoCo and
other projects (Ethernut, etc..) and I realize if I spent
time having fun with those things, I most likely I would
have learned a lot more and wouldn't be worried about
where I am going.

-Jim