[Coco] Glenside Club meetings continued

Bob Devries bdevries at gil.com.au
Wed Dec 7 23:09:46 EST 2005

I'd be a bit worried about this, too. I don't know about Gizmo, but below is
reproduced a letter to the editor of an Australian Electronics magazine
"Silicon Chip" (Nov 05) regarding Skype:

/quote
Skype can have a costly drawback

I'd like to make a comment regarding Skype, as mentioned in your VoIP
article in the September 2005 issue.
As a long-time professional and audiophile, I have been bemused by the
apparent acceptance of P2P (peerto-peer) technology. I have also been amused
(constantly) by the number of friends and acquaintances who get into
never-ending trouble by their unthinking use of such technologies. Spam,
spyware, malware, call it what you like, if there's one sure way of opening
up your computer to anyone at all, it's by installing P2P applications.
Having said that, I was keen to become involved with VoIP some months ago. I
installed Skype and have been using it for many months.

Now for the bad bit. As I'm connected via Optusnet cable broadband, I've
always had a good quality firewall solution installed. A few weeks ago, I
started noticing a fairly significant increase in my usage but thought
nothing of it until my Optusnet "unlimited" account usage went into speed
limitation (22kB per second throughput). After checking my data with network
analysers, verifying firewall settings and so on, I found that Skype had
been going berserk in terms of IP port usage and data throughput. Since the
start of October, I've logged over 2GB throughput in three days.
After some head-scratching and in-depth discussion with my networking mate,
we "discovered" that my system, as part of the Skype P2P network, is
currently hosting more than 300 individual concurrent Skype conversations.
The peak so far is 621 conversations, the average per 24-hour period is 180
conversations.
The Skype official response to my enquiry is, "well, that's what a
peer-topeer network does!". I forgot that this is the same mob that wrote
Kazaa.

Since I have no option of redress and since Skype (and I have now learned,
all other VoIP P2P applications) have no plans for allowing a sucker -
sorry, user - like myself to limit the number of Skype hosting sessions on
my machine, I have no option but to remove Skype and lose all the benefits
of such an application. I know, I know, it's P2P and I should expect some
pain with the gain. But not a 700MB per day penalty. After all, I'm paying
more for other people's conversations than I ever use!
I thought you might like to be aware of the pitfalls of VoIP and that your
less network-savvy readers might benefit from understanding the limitations
of this "free" technology.

There are VoIP tools available that work just fine if you know the other
party's IP address and with most ISPs providing good DHCP leases for
always-on systems like mine, this might be a viable and useful alternative.
Perhaps you guys could investigate this side of VoIP in a future article.
Peter Naus,
Mitcham, Vic.

/endquote

the capacity to be his spokesman,