[Coco] Re: Technical: PIA Help

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Dec 5 15:45:01 EST 2005

Torsten

The MC6822 is an industrial version of the MC6821. That is both
Port A and B are open drain circuits and will drive 15 Volt CMOS
loads as well as TTL loads.

The MC6821 has Port A pulled up with an internal resistor. Port B
uses a class B push/pull NMOS transistor stack. The MC6821 has a
fan out of about 1.5 TTL loads. I believe they are  not as robust as
the Intel 8255 chip. Also the MC6822 has less dcurrent drive than
the MC6822.

IF my memory serves me correct, the Coco 3 uses a special
version of the MC6821 for the Keyboard PIA. I don't think it is a
MC6822. Motorola has done that with standard off the shelf parts. It
could be that the Coco3 part has a m inor tweek in the output
transistor geometry size to provide more or less current dirve. This
is a minor change, this part would get a special marking like
LSC810001.

james