Subject: [Coco] 512K Basic by Microcom

Stephen H. Fischer SFischer1 at MindSpring.com
Sun Dec 4 20:34:40 EST 2005

Hi,

Robert Gault wrote:
> You have a strange way of reading messages. I never said there was no
> disk I/O, only that there was no support for hard disks. That means only
> standard size Basic programs can be saved which reduces the utility of
> 512K Basic.

Yes, I often have problems with "Failing to Communicate" and its reverse,
"Failure to Understand".

As Urbane is approaching 700 lines and I have no feeling about losing
control which usually starts for me with DECB programs about 40 lines, I can
envision that some persons may write some very large programs.

It may come to being just a little short on space and 512 Basic may allow
completing a program without the need to move to another platform.

If the size of the desired program can be better estimated I would suggest
that a different platform be used for larger programs instead of DECB.

Urbane at the heart is just a simple text editing process but the number of
details that must be planned for has increased its size to much larger than
I original extimated. Not hard to code, but there are so very many of them.

Should I run out of space, perhaps 512K Basic might allow the project to be
completed and then methods applied to reduce its size and string space
requirements.

Stephen H. Fischer