[Coco] partial OS9 boot from hard drive (back on topic)

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Mon Aug 29 05:20:54 EDT 2005

>Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 13:03:41 -0400
>From: Vern Burke <vburke at skow.net>
>
> I'm simply asking for someone who has done this before or knows more
>detail about the OS-9 boot process to either give me a brief rundown
>on the steps in the boot process so I can understand where this is
>going wrong or suggestions as to what it could be trying to load that
>I'm not aware of that would cause the machine to crash.

I used to have an LR-Tech SASI system and now I have a Glenside IDE
set up the same way you want to set yours up.  As far as I can tell,
what you have *should* work.  If OS-9 likes your drive as /h0, it
should be OK to have it as /dd.

This may have already been addressed in this conversation, but maybe
try putting cc3go back in os9boot?  I'm not sure where cc3go gets
loaded from if it's not in the boot file.  But if you don't get beyond
the OS9 BOOT screen, cc3go isn't running.

You may be having BLOB problems.  I seem to have better luck
<driver>...

You may also have slightly flakey hardware.  I've had a LOT of
problems with aligning my HD controller cards, aligning the MPI, and
the MPI power supply.  In fact, for awhile, the only way I could boot
my hard drive was to turn the coco on, then immediately give it a
3-finger salute.  Then it would boot. Otherwise, something would fail,
blink the hard drive's light once, and then I'd get the dreaded BOOT
FAILED.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA