[Coco] SockMasters' 4mhz circuit.

John Kowalski sock at axess.com
Fri Aug 26 13:19:29 EDT 2005

At 09:09 AM 26/08/2005 -0700, CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts wrote:
>SockMaster,
>
>Just got my CPLD 4mhz to run at stock speed
>(actually it's both slow & fast).
>For your program to test speed inprovement,
>I get 129-138 for the printout at stock speed
>on a 63b09e non-native mode.
>
>Paul - idezilla

Cool!  By slow & fast, I assume you mean that some opcodes take more cycles
to execute and other take fewer cycles than on an actual Motorola 6809 CPU,
right?

The 129-138 averages to about 134, and if you applied it to double speed
(1.79Mhz) mode, it would be about 268 - coincidentally very similar to the
result I got with my old "clock doubled" 6809.  About 34% faster than a
standard CoCo or the equivalent of about 2.4Mhz CPU performance.

Which opcodes execute faster and which ones slower, by the way?  I'm very
curious.  Please keep us curious folk informed - I'm sure there are a lot of
people interested in a faster plug-in 6809/6309 CPU replacement.

                                         John Kowalski (Sock Master)
                                         http://www.axess.com/twilight/sock/