[Coco] booting OS9 from hard drive

Robert Gault robert.gault at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 25 22:34:21 EDT 2005

You could do it that way but the charm of HDBDOS and RGBDOS is that you
can partition the scsi hard drive into two sections, OS-9 and Disk
Basic. You can then put an OS-9 boot disk on one of the 256 Disk Basic
"drives" so that the boot process is entirely from the hard drive.

If you wish to use the floppy to boot, then the standard floppy Boot
module is retained. However, the os9Boot file must still contain your
hard disk driver (typically HDisk) and a floppy driver (typically CC3Disk.)

Just read the documentation for HDBDOS from Cloud-9.
" Supports up to 256, 35 track single sided virtual floppy disks,
depending upon hard drive size. 84MB gives you 256 virtual floppies.
  Enhanced keyboard editor with FlexiKey.
  Improved Disk BASIC syntax.
  Automatic program execution upon boot -- customize your startup!
  !!!!!!!Boot right to OS-9 at power-up from the hard drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  Co-exists nicely with OS-9 partitions on the same drive.
  Comprehensive user manual.
  EPROM version in 24/28 pin IC's"